Agraan, Marycris B (2007). Evaluation of the
Libraries have long championed the concept of unrestricted access to information. However, such access will be impossible if the citizens are ignorant of the quantity and scope of the information available and how best to retrieve that information. Librarians are mandated by their profession to provide researchers with the knowledge and skills necessary to advance their role in support of learning. The library media specialist works with the students and other members of the learning community to analyze learning and information needs, to locate and use resources that will meet those needs, and to understand and communicate the information the resource provides.
The primary aim of this study was to formulate a five-year development plan for the Aldersgate College (AC) High School Science Library. As a basis, the study first described the current status of the AC High School Science Library in various aspects concerning secondary school and identified the problems and needs of the library users. Specifically, the study (1) described the general profile and status of the High School Science Library of the
The study employed the descriptive-evaluative method to draw a general picture of the Aldersgate College High School Science Library. Data were gathered through the use of the researcher-developed questionnaire and documentary sources. Personal observation, ocular inspection, and interview were conducted to enrich and strengthen the information gathered. The study had two (2) groups of respondents namely faculty and students.
1. Physical Plant and Set-Up. The Aldersgate College High School Science Library was evaluated by the students and faculty to have complied with the standards on “Physical Plant and Facilities” to a “moderate” or average extent. Hence, there is still much to be improved. However, there are specific standards that were complied with to an “extensive” extent (or above average), namely: a) The library can serve 10% of the enrolment (35-40 students) at a time; and b) The library provides atmosphere conducive to reading and study. On the other hand, the library complied with the following only to a “little” extent: The library is equipped with comfortable functional and properly spaced furniture. All the other specific standards were complied with one extensive seating capacity.
2. Furniture and Equipment. Ninety-seven (97) to one hundred (100) percent of the respondents indicated that the facilities listed were present except, a computer with printer. This aspect of the library was complied with to an above average extent as shown by the mean 4.00 for both students and teachers their overall rating.
3. Collection. The overall rating on compliance by the students was described as “moderate” with a mean of 2.98 while the teachers’ overall rating was described as “extensive” with a mean of 3.56. Since the overall rating was only to a “moderate” extent, the librarians should do something about it as it leaves much to be desired for the improvement of the collection. The students rated all items about the collections as complied with to a moderate extent whereas the teachers assesses only 5 items as complied with to a moderate degree and described 8 items as extensive. The teachers rated higher compared with the students.
4. Personnel and Staff. The AC High School Science Library’s organization and management of the library collection was rated as “moderate degree” with a mean of 3.16 while the overall rating by the teachers was also to a “moderate degree” with a mean of 3.46 which is a little higher than that of the students. Since the ratings were equivalent to 3 on a 6 point scale, there is still room for improvement. All items were rated to a “moderate degree” by both the students’ and teachers’ ratings.
5. Library Services. The AC High School Science Library’s staffing was evaluated by students and teachers alike as complying with the standards to a “moderate” extent as indicated by a mean score of 3.18. The teachers and students gave a similar rating for all the items. The only exception is that the students rated one item to be complied with only to a “little” extent, namely: The library has written policies, procedures, rules and regulations embodied in a handbook. This is an aspect that needs to be addressed in the proposed AC High School Science Library’s Five Year Development Plan.
6. Library Utilization. In terms of the library’s utilization, the Aldersgate College High School Science Library was evaluated by both the students and teachers as complying with the standards to a “moderate” extent, as shown by an overall mean score of 2.92. The evaluation indicates that there is still need for improvement. Such should be addressed in the AC High School Science Library’s Development Plan.
On the basis of the findings of the study, the following conclusions were arrived at about the state of the Aldersgate College High School Science Library vis-à-vis the library standards promulgated by the Department of Education. They were all summed up to one thing: There is much to be desired with respect to the present conditions of the high school library. They are a far cry from the requirements as spelled out in the library standards formulated by the Department of Education.
1. The location of the high school library should be transferred to the ground floor of the high school building near the principal’s Office to become more accessible to the library users and should follow the space as required by the standards.
2. The library should be furnished with functional, well-designed and standard furniture and equipment.
3. There should be a well-balanced, good quality and enough quantity of collection, organized for effectiveness catalogued according to simple rules.
4. A full-time professionally qualified librarian that had met the standard should be assigned in the high school library considering the number of students.
5. The librarian should ensure that the library services should be delivered to the highest extent.
6. Above all, the study recommends the consideration by the Aldersgate College Administration should adapt or implement the Proposed Medium-Term Library Development Plan formulated by the researcher to improve the AC High School Science Library.